New Delhi The second day of haze as pollution spiked, hitting 30 times the World Health Organization’s safe level, Delhi deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia ordered to shut down all schools till Sunday comparing the national capital to a “gas chamber” as a deadly smog enveloped the city and hung low.
“Due to the deteriorating air quality in Delhi, the health of children cannot be compromised. We have ordered the closure of all the schools in Delhi until Sunday,” tweeted Manish Sisodia.
Since air Pollution is reaching alarming levels (it’s in hazardous category) there is need to reduce exposure and increase protection to avoid ill effects of Air Pollution. However, to deal with the alarming air condition, doctors have suggested few measures.
Following are the ways to reduce your Exposure:
- Suspend all your outdoor activities in early morning hours like running, jogging, cycling, gym and other sports. It is better to avoid all of the above from November to January, also you can check AQI at Sameer app and if its shows values lower than 300, than you can resume light activities and if it’s less than 200 healthy population can do all activities.
YOGA and other activities can be shifted to evening hours.
GYMs without any treatment or air purification system are more dangerous.
- Don’t send your kids (less than 7-year-old) to school if Air Quality Index (AQI) is higher than 350; ask School to suspend all outdoor movement and only allow kids to move out in afternoon hours
- Do not use Aggarbatti for these 3 months better to use ghee lamp
- Do not sweep/mop in morning hours, it will re-suspend all settled particles in the air, so better to use wet mopping that too with warm water and add a pinch of baking soda in it.
- Walking directly on the main road will lead to higher exposure so better walk on side lanes/footpaths?
- Avoid burning anything in open or if someone is doing please raise an alarm or inform CPCB on their website
How to increase protection:
- While riding bike or walking outdoor wear a good quality of N95/99 mask (Venus/3M masks) are really good; at least use handkerchief it also protect to some extent
- First thing when you start your car is to open your windows and recirculate indoor air to outdoor air for two minutes; it will help in dilution CO concentrations. CO is more dangerous and can cause fatal consequences. Also, run your car ac for some time in indoor circulation. Every car has ac Filters which reduce PM 2.5 substantially.
- If possible use air Purifier in the home (only with Hepa, carbon & pre Filter); especially in the kid’s room, old age, sensitive population (who have respiratory problems) and pregnant ladies.
- Ventilate your house between 3 to 5 PM every day; this is the best time during day where PM2.5 levels are lowest on a bright sunny day
- Sprinkle water in your premises /on road to settle down the pollutants
Some other measures to help you fight air pollution:
- Increase intake of vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene; it will help in increasing immunity
“Issues in Public interest”
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, also known as Maulana Azad, was an eminent Indian scholar, freedo…